Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Serious Man. 2 Oscar nominations - for screen play & best picture! Seriously?!

This movie is a classic example how the audience will automatically assume value in a work of art, just because it came from successful creators - The Coen brothers, who gave some notable films like Fargo and No country for old men, which won 4 Oscars.
Their forte is exploring fate and circumstances in a man’s life.
This movie is a dark comedy; about a small town Jewish teacher who goes through a series of problems he is unable to comprehend - job, marriage breaking down, out of control children, financial problems, automobile accident and the list goes on.
Many see this movie as an existential exploration of pessimism and nihilism (wow... I always wanted to use those words and appear wise!) ... Unfortunately I just saw an absurd chain of events and a confused ordinary Joe.
OK... There are some amusing moments like the aimless story of the dentist finding Hebrew engravings on a patient's teeth and the old wise rabbi quoting some rock song lyrics. Like the hero Larry, my reaction was "What the hell... why are you telling me this!"
I was reminded of some vague abstract statement coming from a Zen monk and we start thinking "Hmm… that should mean something... If I don’t say I comprehend it, people around me are going to assume I am shallow and stupid"
Well, you can assume I am shallow and stupid... I just felt I had wasted 2 hours, as if I watched a TV mega serial. At least they don’t have pretensions of being philosophical.

No comments:

Post a Comment